Automate song for live performance?

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

booksofbokonon

Automate song for live performance?

Post by booksofbokonon »

Howdy,

I have been using hardware loopers for years, and in the past few months i've been trying to fully understand sooperlooper and ableton live (I absolutely love sooperlooper, it's just too easy to use!) I am now to the point where I can do everything i did with the hardware looper. Awesome! Now i am trying to understand how to automate everything. I have songs written, and now I want to be able to perform these without focusing on all of the commands required to build the song. I want to be able to program all changes (record, overdub, effects, arming individual tracks, fade ins/outs, all that jazz) in the studio, where all I do in a live performance is play my instruments. I want to hit one button to start an automation so i can focus on cello, guitar, and keys.

This is what I am working with:
SooperLooper
Ableton 7
macbook

Is this possible with the software I have? Is there a better program out there for automation that I can run sooperlooper in/with? I have read a little bit about dummy clips, but that seems like automation for just a small part. I have searched all over for a way to do this, but maybe my terminology is off. Maybe im searching for the wrong thing?

Any help or a point in the right direction will result in a virtual high five, or maybe even a high ten!
booksofbokonon

Re: Automate song for live performance?

Post by booksofbokonon »

Anything would be appreciated. I have read the entire forum board here and a ton of ableton forum posts. A suggestion for a good website or forum would be awesome.
sremington

Post by sremington »

I have been trying to figure out something similar for a while as well. I don't have Ableton Live so I don't know if some functionality exists there or not. I am working with SooperLooper standalone.

I've finally decided to write a small program to help with a semi-automated way of "scripting" the commands that I want SooperLooper to perform with a minimal amount of interaction from me. I have a rough proof of concept working currently which is encouraging but it is probably a way off from being in a sharable state. The difficult part is telling SL when I want to end recording but a combination of quantize/sync and sending delayed OSC messages seems to work pretty well.

If anybody else has some good ideas I would like to hear them as well.

-Seth
jesse

Post by jesse »

Zoe Keating basically does exactly that with SL and Ableton Live. I believe she sets up midi tracks that feed their output into SL's midi input to trigger different operations at different times in the song. You should be able to do a similar thing. She is on the SL mailing list, but probably doesn't look on the forum very often... try sending your question to the mailing list and see if you get some more details from her or someone else.
Bani12

Post by Bani12 »

Hey, have you developed that program - if so please share with us. Will be waiting for you.
secondstage

Post by secondstage »

I haven't tried it live, but I imagine creating Midi bindings to the buttons that you would need to automate, then use a midi sequencer to send that data to sooper looper on the click of just one button in the sequencer. Now although this would take a bit over before hand time to setup, if you had similar song structure (ie all of them are 4 chord songs all the way through, then it would be pretty easy to just reuse the sequence again and again.

Just an idea. I know this is an old thread, but still.