Starting SL, using JACK

Problems getting SL up and running on a Mac? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

soundofbees

Starting SL, using JACK

Post by soundofbees »

Hi -

I am a decently intelligent person, but not very well versed in computer programming. I run Mac 10.4.11 PPC. I just downloaded Jackdmp 1.90, JackRouter 0.8.9, and JackPilot 1.6.4 (all in one dl). I downloaded SL v 1.0.8c

I can't hear any sound out of SL, although it opens and the buttons seem to respond, for whatever that is worth. I'm probabl not connecting the JACK input/outputs correctly, but I'm pretty confused. I'm probably only vaguely in the ballpark of understanding that JACK connects my computer built-in audio to the SL program. Does SL have its own ability to output to my computer speakers or headphones, or do I need to run another program? What should my audio settings look like?

Thanks!

bees
jesse

Re: Starting SL, using JACK

Post by jesse »

First of all, you shouldn't be using 1.0.8 of SL, it is super old. The latest versions (eg, 1.6.11) are universal binaries intended to work on both intel and power PC, from OS X 10.4 onward.

Quick usage of JACK:
1. Start up Jack Pilot application, go to Preferences and select your audio interface. Then start JACK.
2. Start up the SooperLooper application
3. In JackPilot, press the Routing button, in the window that pops up, click on the 'system' item in the left column, then *double-click* the 'sooperlooper' item in the *right* column. That connects your hardware inputs to SL's inputs. Then single-click the 'sooperlooper' item in the left column, and double-click the 'system' item in the right column. This connects SL's main output to your hardware outputs.

You should now be able to see the meters in SL move with your input, and you should be able to hear looped output. If you want to monitor your live input, turn up the 'main in mon' control at the top of SL.

You can save your JackPilot setup, which makes step 3 as easy as Load Studio Setup from JackPilot's File menu.
soundofbees

Post by soundofbees »

Thanks. I dled v 1.6.11, but the folder that contains the files doesn't have the SL icon for startup, or any other installation thing that I can find. The old version easily started. What am I missing?
jesse

Post by jesse »

Did you download the SooperLooper-1.6.11.dmg ? I just double-checked and everything is in there once you open it.
jeanluc

Post by jeanluc »

Hi everybody :D

is my first run with sooperlooper
I just follow all the info on this post for starting SL using Jack

sooperloop is looping!
but the Jack Server don't see my Motu Traveler...
the loop sound come out from Audio Built (also the record was with the mic built)

there something that I have to know for this problem? :?:
thanks!
jeanluc

ps
I have an ibook PPC with the last version of jack and SL
jesse

Post by jesse »

You need to select your MOTU interface in the JackPilot Preferences before starting JACK.
jeanluc

Post by jeanluc »

works!
jeanluc
jeremy tranter

Post by jeremy tranter »

Once you've got looping going there are a couple of very useful things you can try with JACK:

1. Send the main outs of SL to the monitor/headphone outputs of your MOTU. Send individual outputs to your DAW to record each loop onto its own track.

2. Use one mix in MOTU CueMix as an FX send to SL. Select an outputs, plug into an inputs, use JACK to route this pair of inputs to input of SL. I use the SPDIF. You can then decide what you are sending to SL without having to go back to JACK Pilot.

Have fun

Jeremy
www.masse.org.uk
teddy

Post by teddy »

Hey Everyone,

I am just setting things up with SL and am stuck. I have followed Jesse's directions up until "double-click the 'system' item in the right column." A system item does not appear in the 'Receive Ports' column just the Sooperlooper option.

When I go back into SL I can see that sound is being picked up by the mic but nothing comes out.

What do I have to set in order to get this going?

Cheers!!
jesse

Post by jesse »

Are you trying to use the built-in audio on a mac laptop? If so you need to create an Aggregate device using the Audio Midi Setup application (see the Audio menu to get to the aggregate device editor), and add both the built-in input and output devices to it. Once created, you will then choose it as your audio interface in the JackPilot preferences. Then you should get both input and output ports for 'system'.

Something to watch out for with aggregate devices, you will need to make sure that the sample rate is set the same on the individual built-in input and built-in output devices within Audio Midi Setup, otherwise JACK will complain when you try to use the aggregate device.
teddy

Post by teddy »

Hey Jesse,

I am using the built in audio for a macbook for the time being.
I tried the Aggregate Device creation but the same things happens in the input (system and sooperlooper show up) and output ports (just sooperlooper shows up). For the latter, there are upto four streams: common out 1, common out 2, loop0 out 1, loop0 out 2. These are all under sooperlooper as the receive ports. System still does not show up in that column.
any suggestions?
jesse

Post by jesse »

Can you post screenshots of the preferences window for JackPilot? Also, for the Aggregate device editor, and the audio midi setup window with the aggregate device selected?

jlc
micmee

Post by micmee »

Greetings.

I am using Jack/SL in Snow Leopard.

I cannot see Sooperlooper in the Connections Manager of JackPilot.

I did things in the following order:
• Create Aggregate Device
• Open JackPilot
• Select Agg. Dev. in JackPilot preferences
• Click 'Start' JackPilot
• Open sooperlooper
• Click 'Routing' in JackPilot
• The attached screenshot is what I see
Screen shot 2010-04-02 at 11.35.09 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-04-02 at 11.35.09 AM.png (25.71 KiB) Viewed 46861 times
As you can see, I have no sooperlooper options showing up in the connection manager.

I get the 'Lost connection to Sooperlooper engine' error on a regular basis.

I have also tried opening things in other orders.

Please help, I'm rather confused.

Thank you
teresap989

Post by teresap989 »

teddy wrote:Hey Everyone,

I am just setting things up with SL and am stuck. I have followed Jesse's directions up until "double-click the 'system' item in the right column." A system item does not appear in the 'Receive Ports' column just the Sooperlooper option.

When I go back into SL I can see that sound is being picked up by the mic but nothing comes out.

What do I have to set in order to get this going?

Cheers!!
I also think so.thanks