Help with USB Keyboard setup

Problems getting SL up and running on a Mac? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

HOw ROof

Help with USB Keyboard setup

Post by HOw ROof »

Hello, I'm new to SL and I was having a bit of trouble using my USB Keyboard with it.

I got everything working with Jack and stuff just using sound output, but it was nearly impossible to get everything in sync with overdubbing. I'm trying to get it to work with MIDI input now so quantizing can help keep everything in time.

Problem is, I can't get SL to input/output the actual note inputs from my keyboard. SL can detect input from my keyboard, I can bind the footpedal and buttons to various commands in SL, but actual notes aren't going through.

I'm doing this currently:

USB -> Midi Patchbay -> SL In -> SL Out -> SimpleSynth

All help and input is greatly appreciated.
Freasy

Re: Help with USB Keyboard setup

Post by Freasy »

Hello,
so you want to get the notes from your USB keyboard to SimpleSynth via SL? I don't know if this is possible with SL, because SL doesn't have a MIDI through as far as I know. So you need to set your USB keyboard as input in SimpleSynth as well.
HOw ROof

Post by HOw ROof »

What's the point of the quantization/sync to midi settings then? I was under the impression that you couldn't quantize raw sound input.
Freasy

Post by Freasy »

You can sync to a midi clock signal, so length and speed will be in sync with the midi clock, e.g. by a drum software. The input itself won't be quantized, but the start and end of your loop.
However you could sync SimpleSynth up with SL, so SimpleSynth has SL as master clock.

I'm not sure what you want to do, but I guess you want to have SimpleSynth and SL in sync, control SL with the command changes of the keyboard and play notes in SimpleSynth.
So I think the midi routing should be this:
USB keyboard -> command changes only -> SL
USB keyboard -> notes only -> SimpleSynth
SL -> realtime signals only -> SimpleSynth
If you want to control some things in SimpleSynth with the keyboard as well, you would need to have
USB keyboard -> every midi except realtime -> SimpleSynth
instead.

And audio routing should be this:
Input -> SL
Simple Synth -> SL
SL -> Output

And yes, I went through this nightmare of routing midi as well, but now I got everything working - now I realise with all effects and stuff, my computer isn't fast enough anymore :D