Rel sync doesn't work

Problems getting SL up and running on a Mac? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

Pekka

Rel sync doesn't work

Post by Pekka »

Hi!

First of all, thanks for the amazing piece of software Jesse!

I have trouble getting rel sync working. SL 1.6.18, AUlab 2.2.2 and OS X 10.6.8.

"Sync to" loop 1, "quantize" set to "cycle", "rel sync" on, Loop 2 sync on.

I record loop 1 and let it play couple of cycles. Then hit record on loop 2 in the middle of the cycle. Gives "waiting for sync" until the cycle starts over, shouldn't do that?? Instead should start recording immediatly?

And if I add a new loop, rel sync turns off. Is it normal?

I am ready to donate if I get this sorted! ;) Rel sync suites my needs perfectly.

Thanks in advance,

Pekka from Finland
jesse

Re: Rel sync doesn't work

Post by jesse »

As usual, it works fine here with the same setup, except I'm using the latest version of SL (1.7.2).... give that a shot?
jesse

Post by jesse »

Oops, realized you are on OSX 10.6.x.....

I don't recall making any changes that would have kept relsync from working, so it likely is something else going on...
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

OK, I'll install SL and AULab to another computer with same system and test if it works there. I was just wondering, could it be a preference file or something else corrupted? How can I uninstall SL completely other that trashing SooperLooper app and AU plugin? I installed a fresh copy of SL but it didn't make a difference.

How about rel sync turning off by itself when I add a new loop, is that normal behavior?
jesse

Post by jesse »

Neither of those behaviors is normal, and I still can't reproduce it on the latest version... let me try out the older version you are running...
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

It seems to be AU related problem. Rel sync works fine when using SL with JACK. Would be nice though to use SL as AU. I'll still try it with another computer if there's something messing things up in my system. I think rel sync simply doesn't turn on when it should and adding new loop "refreshes" the display...?

How about getting the latest SL version work with OS X 10.6.x? ;) I don't know if it cures my problem but would still be nice.
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

I tried with another macbook with same versions and still won't work. Any suggestions else than using JACK?
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

Got it to work. Workaround was to save session rel sync on when using JACK and then open session while using SL via AU. Weird but works now.
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

But SL still quite doesn't do what I want it to do! :roll: It's not logical that I have to end synced recording before the end of the cycle. For me It feels so much more natural to push the button on the exact beat I want recording to end. But that usually gives me 1 cycle too much which is frustrating! I totally agree following post from http://sourceforge.net/p/sooperlooper/m ... /27861587/ How about adding round sync function to "round" mode or to "rel sync"?

"Hi Jesse,

is it somehow possible to implement a "round sync" mode to SooperLooper?

I am using SL synced to incoming MIDIClock and want to be able to start
and stop recording by hitting the button on the "1" of the beat/cycle.
The problem is: this will only work if am a bit too early on the beat.
If I am too late, even a millisecond, SL will wait until the next beat
and then start/stop recording. The "rel sync" feature solves this
problem for starting the recording, but I still have to end it a moment
earlier to get the proper loop length.

The "round sync" mode should quantize the operations to the nearest
(instead of the following) sync reference. That means SL should detect
the nearest beat and then either wait until the next beat or catch up
the elapsed time to the previous beat, similar as in the latency
compensation feature.

I would really appreciate your help!

Cheers from Berlin,
Sebastian"
jesse

Post by jesse »

You are right, I think I should change it so you have a little leeway if finishing a quantized record a little late.
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

Yes Jesse! :-) Do it and I will definitely donate! (And have to upgrade to Lion or newer OS???)
sarnold

Post by sarnold »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't get accustomed to finish a loop before the end of a cycle. Finishing "on" the beat always gives a 50/50 chance to miss the cuepoint. I'm looking forward to this feature!

Best,
Sebastian