Midi-Bindings - Long Press/Softstep

Problems getting SL up and running on a Mac? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

fadster7575

Midi-Bindings - Long Press/Softstep

Post by fadster7575 »

hi, I'm new to SooperLooper, and recently bought a Softstep 1 to go with Mainstage/SooperLooper.
At the moment I can't map a long-press function to a pad/key, i.e. only the PC mode i.e. press and release.
What I want to do is say - have one pad 'short-press' to function 'undo' and same pad 'long-press' 'undo-all' .
any wizzos there who can help me out on this one?

thanks
jesse

Re: Midi-Bindings - Long Press/Softstep

Post by jesse »

To do a long-press your device needs to send Note On/Off events on press and release, which I assume the soft step can be configured to do. It *might* work with a momentary CC (where 127 is sent on press, and 0 is sent on release)... but I'd need to check if SL does in fact support that.

Anyway, if you make the binding a Note, it will definitely work.
fadster7575

Post by fadster7575 »

the device is set to default which is 'midi-note' however if I use 'midi-learn' function - it is recognized as 'pc' and nothing else.
I don't know how to change the softstep for it to be recognized as a 'note' rather than 'pc'.
fadster7575

Post by fadster7575 »

another quick one Jesse,
is there a way of Ending the performance, i.e. pressing stop, which then fades out any remaining loops to zero?
I remember I had that function with BOSS Looper, it was very useful. Otherwise I have to manually adjust the fader on the mixer, which is a bit of a hassle during performance.
thanks again for your input
jesse

Post by jesse »

If the midi learn shows a PC, then perhaps the device isn't really sending note like you expect? Grab the handy application Midi Monitor from http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/ and see what it really is sending! The soft step manual should be able to help you set it up.... I'm guessing you are on the PRGM preset, but you should use the nav button left/right to select the NOTE preset.

So you are looking for a slow fade out operation? Unfortunately SooperLooper does not have that feature built-in...
fadster7575

Post by fadster7575 »

hi Jesse, again, so I've made some progress.
I was able to navigate to 'Note' on the Softstep, and then program those in as 'note' events. so that's all working. my only problem atm is that the note 'on' and 'off' messages are interpreted both, so pressing and releasing the pad repeats the gesture. Is there a way of telling the host to interpret 'foot on' and 'foot off' as same command, i.e. not repeating it then on release.
jesse

Post by jesse »

Yes, in SL's MIDI binding page make sure your bindings are set as Note, and *not* NoteOn or NoteOff... that way it will interpret the press/release properly.
fadster7575

Post by fadster7575 »

strange, that's exactly the problem I'm having despite the setting set to 'note'. maybe a bug?
jesse

Post by jesse »

I'm not seeing it here.... can you post a screenshot of your midi bindings page? Also, use MIDI Monitor to capture the midi input from your pedal, and post that here too...
fadster7575

Post by fadster7575 »

I will check that out in a second:
at the moment a few other pressing issues I need resolving. I appreciate your patience and help very much btw. thanks for that.

- is it possible to have the record/overdub function overdubbing as soon as the recording button is depressed. At the moment I press foot on for record and again to determine the length of the recording, and it goes straight into 'play' mode.
i.e. it doesn't start overdubbing immediately after I press the 'foot on' the second time and I need to wait for the sample to play until the end before overdubbbing.

2. let's say I have 3 Loops, and I want them connected i.e. synched to the first one, so that I can have several parts of arrangement which I can mute/solo or mix together when I want all the same length. - so I select sync to loop 1, when I press 'record_next_exclusive' via midi-mapped control. If I have 'sync' checked on in the next loop it will start recording immediately and not wait for the end of the LOOP1 sample, but the overall loop length will be preserved with the LOOP1, however if sync is off, and 'play sync' is checked in, the record' will wait until the beginning of LOOP1 sample before recording. But basically I want the loop to do both - i.e. wait until the sample ends before 'recording kicks in on the next loop, and the sync to be preserved i.e. the same length as the LOOP 1. How do I do that?
fadster7575

Post by fadster7575 »

and last thing:
how can I get all different loops to wait for the end of the loop before executing 'mute' 'solo' or 'pause' functions?
at the moment only loop 1 does that, while all the others execute the function immediately.
jesse

Post by jesse »

1) If you instead made separate midi bindings to Record and Overdub, you can get what you want by starting the loop with Record, and ending it with Overdub which defines the loop length and goes right into Overdub like you want. You then later have the option of overdubbing independently, or recording a new loop, etc. The record_or_overdub command was designed for people with very limited pedal availability to combine the record-start/end with overdub, where pressing it with no loop starts record, the next press ends record, and any subsequent presses toggle overdub. A long-press/release on that will actually reset the loop to nothing. It's kind a of a one-button solution for simple looping. What you want deserves and needs more than one button.

2) You need to do the following: set 'sync to' to Loop 1 as you had. Set quantize to 'cycle' (or loop, depending). Enable 'sync' on the loop(s). Then as long as you have recorded a loop on loop1, you can use the any of the record ops on other loops and they will wait until the next cycle boundary before starting the record. Note that with an op like record_next_exclusive, you have to finish your record with a regular record op (you can't use the next, because it will actually start recording on the next loop after finishing the current one).

3) setting quantize to cycle (or loop) should solve the mute/solo/pause quantize issue. Make sure to check the 'mute quant' as well, since you want that.
fadster7575

Post by fadster7575 »

hi Jesse,
thanks again, great tip about separate record and overdub, that works brilliantly.
unfortunately that other stuff doesn't work as it should (I can't seem to upload image here to show you of my print screen) but basically
I have all that as you said: Sync to Loop one, Quantize to 'cycle' then following things checked in 'mute quant' odub quant' repl quant' 'rel sync' 'auto 8th'
on the individual loops if I have 'sync' checked in the recording starts immediately, if I have only 'play sync' checked in on other loops then it starts recording at the start of the cycle, but then it's not synced to the loop 1. Also, only loop one reacts to 'mute quant' i.e. playing till the end of cycle to stop, solo, pause etc. all other loops are activated immediately, regardless if I have 'sync' play sync' checked in.
fadster7575

Post by fadster7575 »

solved part of the problem by unchecking 'rel sync' at the top of the panel, still mute/solo/pause problem remains though.
jesse

Post by jesse »

Ah, sorry about not mentioning keeping 'rel sync' off. My mute/solo/pause quantizing is working fine here, as long as you have quantize:cycle, mute quant on, and sync checked on each loop. Something strange is going on over there.

Regarding the screenshots, email them directly to me: jesse at sonosaurus.com
jesse

Post by jesse »

[as replied in email]

Aha! Turns out when a new loop is added (or you start up a new session) the mute/odub/repl quant settings aren't applied to the new loops! If you manually toggle them off then on again after everything is set up then they work appropriately.

Phew! I'll fix that issue in the next update, but at least you have a workaround for now.
jesse

Post by jesse »

OK, I made a new build v1.7.3 that fixes the mute/solo/pause/overdub/replace quantize initialization problem. Grab it on the download page...