Can't connect to server

Problems getting SL up and running on a Mac? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

stuart

Can't connect to server

Post by stuart »

Hi all

I've just done a fresh install of SooperLooper (1.6.16) on a MacBook Air running 10.6.7 and the SooperLooper GUI doesn't seem to be able to connect to the server.

I started by just running the GUI directly, but running from the console gives:

stuart@wopr: /Applications/SooperLooper.app/Contents/MacOS$ ./sooperlooper
SooperLooper 1.6.16
Copyright 2007 Jesse Chappell
OSC server URI (network) is: osc.udp://wopr.org.au:9952/

And then the GUI:

stuart@wopr: /Applications/SooperLooper.app/Contents/MacOS$ ./slgui
slgui: our URL is osc.udp://wopr.org.au:10845/
execing: '/Applications/sooperlooper -q -U osc.udp://wopr.org.au:10845/ -p 9951 -l 3 -c 1 -t 60 -m "/Users/stuart/.sooperlooper/default_midi.slb" -D no'

execvp(/Applications/sooperlooper, -q, -U, osc.udp://wopr.org.au:10845/, -p, 9951, -l, 3, -c, 1, -t, 60, -m, /Users/stuart/.sooperlooper/default_midi.slb, -D, no) failed with error 2!
slgui: remote looper is at osc.udp://wopr.org.au:9951/ version=1.6.16 loopcount=3 id=1302763445
but treating the engine URL as osc.udp://:9951/

The GUI very quickly comes up with a "Lost Connection" dialogue box.

I must admit at this stage that I'm very new to Macs, so I may be doing something pretty obviously wrong. Jack seems to be running okay though, and Ardour works just fine.

Regards,
Stuart
jesse

Re: Can't connect to server

Post by jesse »

Sigh.... this is another one of those network configuration issues that SL is so sensitive to. I will fix this one day soon!

Anyway, I'm guessing that your machine does not actually have the domain name of wopr.org.au on the internet, but for some reason that is what it being reported. How have you set up your networking? Go into System Preferences, Sharing, and tell me what it says at the top for Computer name, and what it says below it.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Hi Jesse

The hostname I had in Preferences -> Sharing was some huge long string, but I had set the Unix hostname to just 'wopr' from the command line previously. After a bit more experimenting (thanks for pointing me in the right direction), it turns out that setting the hostname from the command line to 'wopr.local' with 'sudo hostname -s wopr.local' got things working.

Thanks again, and good luck with your fix! I think it will be worth the effort to make it more resilient against different network configurations. You have created a great program it would be a shame to lose users at the first hurdle. Sure, it is their loss, but SooperLooper deserves a huge user base. :)

Regards,
Stuart
mlwalla

Post by mlwalla »

Having the same/similar problem, but the hostname in my system is fine...obviously nothing like zero-zero-zero-whatever....

Any tips?

Here's the output for ./slgui

Code: Select all

slgui: our URL is osc.udp://zero-zero-zero-zero.gci.net:19837/
Changing our url to be : osc.udp://127.0.0.1:19837/
slgui: remote looper is at osc.udp://zero-zero-zero-zero.gci.net:9951/ version=1.6.18   loopcount=1  id=1340740830
  but treating the engine URL as osc.udp://localhost:9951/
never spawn: 0
Changing our url to be : osc.udp://127.0.0.1:19837/
slgui: remote looper is at osc.udp://zero-zero-zero-zero.gci.net:9951/ version=1.6.18   loopcount=1  id=1340740830
  but treating the engine URL as osc.udp://localhost:9951/
Here's the output for hostname:

akpirg1.local
kasbah

Post by kasbah »

What happens when you do:

./slgui -H "akpirg1.local"