topot - very alpha alternative gui...

Discuss any custom user interfaces that have been developed for SL.

Moderator: jesse

marcell

topot - very alpha alternative gui...

Post by marcell »

you could see video introduction at:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/marcell/videos/7

code repository:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=t ... 4d001509bf

the idea is to show hide most of the options into preferences and to have as big as possible options which one (me atm :) ) should need during the recording session...

it is written in pyqt4 and one of the main features is qt zooming features so one could make any part of the gui as big as possible without having significant lack of computer performance...

any future ideas are very welcome...

planned future topot's features:
* song arrangement mode - classical approach to have patterns arranged in songs (ie. first loop muting every other time, second loop playing all the time, third playing every forth time....)
* using python (math) methods for changing different osc parameters in time...
* record midi/osc messages with timestamp during the sooperlooper session
Last edited by marcell on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
polimorfos

Re: topot - very alpha alternative gui...

Post by polimorfos »

This is great.

I know nothing about programming. Is it difficult to implement this code in SL?

Hahn
jesse

Post by jesse »

This is a standalone GUI application he developed that just talks to your SL engine the same way the normal GUI does.

What I can do is build a Mac version for those of you who might be interested in trying it.

jlc
polimorfos

Post by polimorfos »

I would be very interested

I guess when you use SL as a plug in you simply define the GUI path to "topot" instead of SL in the applications folder? Is this correct?

thanks,

Hahn
carsandtrains

Post by carsandtrains »

wow, i'd be very interested in testing this out... i'm running off of ableton live but all the same this could work rather nicely to help visualize things.
rasmusfris

Post by rasmusfris »

....Yes I also think that this approach seems very intuitive, it would be great to try it out :D

Sincerely Rasmus ... and thanks for sharing your work!!
trent

Post by trent »

WOW! this would ROCK on MAC!

MAC PLEASE!!!!!!! :P
sremington

Post by sremington »

marcell wrote: planned future topot's features:
* song arrangement mode - classical approach to have patterns arranged in songs (ie. first loop muting every other time, second loop playing all the time, third playing every forth time....)
* using python (math) methods for changing different osc parameters in time...
These sound very similar to what I've been thinking of trying to implement in an alternative frontend for some time. Some way to predefine some structure to a song but also allow some freedom for improvisation. I was thinking of extending the "patterns arranged into a song" idea by adding something I will call "checkpoints" for lack of a better term. When the song hits a checkpoint that would basically mean "loop over the previous pattern(s) until I tell you it's OK to proceed with the song". Some configurable event (OSC / MIDI) would be that signal to proceed with the song until you hit the next "checkpoint".

That way you could control a complex song with a single button on a foot controller. Something like this as an example:

1. Start with a preloaded click track in loop 1 that everything else will sync to
2. The song starts and immediately hits a checkpoint that says keeps looping the click track in loop 1
3. I sit down at my drum kit and and hit the floor pedal to say I'm ready
4. This puts loop 2 in record mode and continues to play loop 1. After one time through the loop it will automatically end recording loop 2 (my feet are busy on the drum kit) and mute loop 1 (don't need the click track any more)
5. We hit another checkpoint so it will continue to play the drums on loop 2 until I say I'm ready
6. I pick up the bass and noodle around with the drum loop for a bit. Then I hit the foot controller and loop 3 goes in record mode and (just to be crazy) the drums on loop 2 get muted.
7. After a couple of times through loop 1 (that we are still synced to although it is muted) a couple of things happen: loop 3 automatically stops recording and starts to loop itself and the drums in loop 2 unmute
8. We hit another checkpoint and the drums and bass continue to loop while I pick up my guitar
9. etc...

-Seth
polimorfos

Post by polimorfos »

Any chance of building a Mac version in the near future? I'd love to check this out...

Hahn
marcell

Post by marcell »

polimorfos wrote:Any chance of building a Mac version in the near future? I'd love to check this out... Hahn
these packages should be installed before topot... i don't have a mac but in past i successfully installed Qt/PyQt4 on osx and my applications worked well.. it seems you will need to compile most of the packages.. i dunno if they are in darwin ports/fink or some other repositories for osx.. i was successfully compiling packages on osx after installing xcode from osx cd... most of the packages are just about "./configure;make;make install" or "python setup.py install" (or something that simple and said in README or INSTALL text file)...

ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-ma ... -4.4.3.dmg
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sta ... 7.7.tar.gz
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sta ... 4.3.tar.gz
http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/source ... .25.tar.gz
http://das.nasophon.de/download/pyliblo-0.7.1.tar.gz
it seems that maybe this line will help you when compiling pyliblo:
C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/include LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib python setup.py install

so after this topot should run without problems... i'm in solitude, stuttgart and work full time on topot next 7 days.. hope will provide user friendly application in that time ;)

thanx for your interest in topot... and as always without sooperlooper i would be nowhere ;)

best
jesse

Post by jesse »

Sorry I dropped the ball on this one. I will try to build topot sometime this week and package it up. It is the packaging that is sometimes tricky, but I've had some experience doing it.
polimorfos

Post by polimorfos »

That would be great. I don't have a clue how to install those packages!

thanks,

Hahn
Mudo

Post by Mudo »

It seems like freewheeling

polimorfos

Post by polimorfos »

jesse wrote:Sorry I dropped the ball on this one. I will try to build topot sometime this week and package it up. It is the packaging that is sometimes tricky, but I've had some experience doing it.
Have you had any time to work on this?

btw, 1.6.13 working well for me thus far.

thanks Jesse,

Hahn
jesse

Post by jesse »

No, I totally and completely dropped the ball again. I've been too busy on my upcoming iPhone app.... which I will bring up to the list/forum to get some possible beta testers for.
studiesinsound

Post by studiesinsound »

hi jesse

I have been a user of sooperlooper for some time.
I love it
I use it in ubuntustudio for live guitar looping
excellent!

Anyway I saw your comment in this thread about an iPhone app?

Any specifics?
I am very interested in what this might be.
is it an audio looper similar to sooperlooper?
jesse

Post by jesse »

studiesinsound wrote: Anyway I saw your comment in this thread about an iPhone app?
Any specifics?
I am very interested in what this might be.
is it an audio looper similar to sooperlooper?
See this post I just made: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=123#p466
magnetophon

Post by magnetophon »

Hi,

I know this is quite an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has gotten this running.
I got a GUI to show by commenting out a few lines and uncommenting others, but since I don't know python, that was mostly trial and error...
Also it's just the GUI showing. It doesn't react to clicks, but strangely I can drag the widgets..... :?

Cheers,

Bart.
marcell

Post by marcell »

magnetophon wrote:Hi,

I know this is quite an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has gotten this running.
I got a GUI to show by commenting out a few lines and uncommenting others, but since I don't know python, that was mostly trial and error...
Also it's just the GUI showing. It doesn't react to clicks, but strangely I can drag the widgets..... :?
yes, this was quite long time ago. i didn't check if it works with few versions which appeared meanwhile.
i'll check it out and (hopefully) post the working version soon. i assume some time next week.
magnetophon

Post by magnetophon »

Thanks for the quick reply!
Looking forward to try it out!
magnetophon

Post by magnetophon »

Did you know about this related project:
https://github.com/kasbah/slim_looper

It is a rewrite of SL, with the gui also written in pyQt4, that aims to be scriptable, so it might be worth a look.