Verse-Chorus, mute, trigger.

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

Skrzak

Verse-Chorus, mute, trigger.

Post by Skrzak »

Admin (or mod), please accept this topic, it is very important for me and just can't find anywhere any specific solution.

I'm a fiddler, using a Macbook with mainstage an SooperLooper AU plugin, focusrite firewire interface, set midi bindings thru Mainstage (absolutely no problems), Uno FCB1010, Akai LPD, AKAI MPK Mini.

OK, how to do it? The most simple song oriented setup.

I have two ideas, but don't know how to complete either.

1. Two loops, 1st is a master, 2nd slave. Record first as a verse and then second as chorus. But how to record the chorus slave same length as the verse master? Because when I'll record the chorus slave, I want either the master to be muted or paused. Which is better here, mute the master so master and slave run simultaneously but one of them muted (paralel) or one of them paused and press trigger to toggle between them (serial)?

2.Two independent loops, length may vary (approximately the same though). The only solution here is to pause one and trigger to toggle between them.

So technical issues here:
- when triggering, can't properly switch muting, so only one of them is audible at a time.
- when running simultaneously, can't configure either proper muting, because when mute one of them, I have to unmute it, or unsolo, it never works in such a way that by pressing one switch in my uno fcb1010 (or Akai lpd or simmilar) it mutes one and unmutes the other. Any tested solutions? I think this is the most simple song oriented technique, so should have been solved long ago by many SooperLooper users, but apparently it isn't.
jesse

Re: Verse-Chorus, mute, trigger.

Post by jesse »

Skrzak wrote: Admin (or mod), please accept this topic, it is very important for me and just can't find anywhere any specific solution.

1. Two loops, 1st is a master, 2nd slave. Record first as a verse and then second as chorus. But how to record the chorus slave same length as the verse master? Because when I'll record the chorus slave, I want either the master to be muted or paused. Which is better here, mute the master so master and slave run simultaneously but one of them muted (paralel) or one of them paused and press trigger to toggle between them (serial)?

2.Two independent loops, length may vary (approximately the same though). The only solution here is to pause one and trigger to toggle between them.

So technical issues here:
- when triggering, can't properly switch muting, so only one of them is audible at a time.
- when running simultaneously, can't configure either proper muting, because when mute one of them, I have to unmute it, or unsolo, it never works in such a way that by pressing one switch in my uno fcb1010 (or Akai lpd or simmilar) it mutes one and unmutes the other. Any tested solutions? I think this is the most simple song oriented technique, so should have been solved long ago by many SooperLooper users, but apparently it isn't.
OK, you want to look into binding the special commands that have _solo_ in them, such as record_solo, record_or_overdub_solo, record_or_overdub_solo_trig, etc. If you make bindings to these, I would recommend the loop specific ones (not all or selected, but bound to specific loop instance, one you treat as verse and the second as chorus). Using these commands will first solo that loop (muting the others) and then performing the operation on that loop (record, overdub, trigger, etc). The complex command such as record_or_overdub_solo_trig is kind of a 1-button approach, where it will start record if the loop is empty, finish recording (and playback) if recording, overdub if playing, finish overdub if overdubbing, and retrigger if being newly soloed.

For your first example, the syncing part means you just need to set the 'sync to' Loop 1 (verse), quantize to 'cycle' or 'loop', and enable sync on Loop 2 (chorus). For your second example, just disable sync on loop 2.
Skrzak

Post by Skrzak »

Thank you! That was really helpful. I used "rec or overdub solo trigger", now this is first time ever I can play regular verse-chorus songs. Cheers.

Now, how to toggle between verse and chorus quantised, when already recorded? I mean - not to have to press the button exactly at the end of a loop, so I can press it anytime and wait for the current loop to finish and automaticly switch to the other. Even if I had to assign toggle switch to a separate button.

I think I know what's necessary for my needs. Can you please implement separate "trigger_solo" and "trigger_solo_quantised" commands? I'm not sure though if the "quantised" is the right command for triggering second loop after the first has been finished.
falcon74

Post by falcon74 »

Did you ever find out the answer to your question or confirmation on way to achieve:
Now, how to toggle between verse and chorus quantised, when already recorded? I mean - not to have to press the button exactly at the end of a loop, so I can press it anytime and wait for the current loop to finish and automaticly switch to the other
This is how many some of the better hardware looper pedals works (especially Boss RC-3), which is such a great feature because it affords some slack in terms of getting the timing absolutely perfect.