Sync with a wav file looping on Ardour

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

guille

Sync with a wav file looping on Ardour

Post by guille »

Hi, i have two questions about sync on SL.

·) Which way have i to sync SL with Ardour (as master on jack transport) looping a WAV file??

I put on SL sync to jack/host (quant = cycle) and looping on Ardour...well, SL is sync...but not really over the sample length...i switch on "RECORD", but SL start recording in a start point that is not really the end/begin of the wav file???

·) There is a way to sync SL with Hydrogen's 4 pattern file (for example) on the next sense: i would like SL start sync when the song start/end, not really when individuals patterns starts/ends...i mean SL had to start when entire H2 song reach the end....

Thanks.
jesse

Re: Sync with a wav file looping on Ardour

Post by jesse »

To do it this way you'll need to make sure that the loop points you've chosen in ardour both start and and on exact boundaries of the bar/beat for the current tempo. For Jack sync in SL, it uses the jack transport position as a master reference, but in a relative sense in terms of looping in SL, so certain time instants become "sync" points where operations may start/stop if quantized. Those points always begin at time 0 and are multiples of whatever the quantize value is set to (# beats, etc). It doesn't know that Ardour is going to loop the transport, but if you pick those points to evenly match up, you can get SL to behave better.