Fading in and out loop with exp pedal - guidelines

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

drkam6

Fading in and out loop with exp pedal - guidelines

Post by drkam6 »

Hello,
I'm new to SooperLooper. I will be using it to replace a fairly simple hardware looping setup: A Line 6 DL4, with an Ernie Ball VP Jr 25K Ohm volume pedal used as expression pedal to fade in and out only the loops created. The DL4's looper is quite smooth but it's very limited.
My intention is to fade in and out loops on SooperLooper standalone. I will be using a Logidy UMI3 as controller, connecting the aforementioned VP Jr 25K pedal to it. SooperLooper will work on a Macbook. Main aims in moving to SooperLooper are the extended lengths of the loops, and I hope that all loops are recorded and played in stereo (the input signals will be stereo).
I found a posting related to the above topic ("Setup feasibility/advice") but I couldn't understand it well, sorry. Would there be any connection guidelines to achieve the fading? It would be interesting to not only individually fade in and out differrent loops, but also fade them together.
I appreciate your comments - thank you.
JeffHendricks

Re: Fading in and out loop with exp pedal - guidelines

Post by JeffHendricks »

First, welcome!

Second, SooperLooper works in stereo just fine.

Third, you can use some sort of MIDI controller to fade the loops in and out. It's pretty easy to map a control to a parameter. You can use something small, like the Korg NanoKontrol or the Akai LPD8 (both work over USB, very simple to use). The parameter you're looking for is "wet" for each loop. So if you had a LPD8, you could map the buttons to record/overdub for each loop, and use the knobs to fade loops. Just pull up the MIDI mapping window, select which loop# you want to effect, pick the "wet" parameter, click "learn" and move the knob you want. Nothing to it.
drkam6

Re: Fading in and out loop with exp pedal - guidelines

Post by drkam6 »

Thank you Jeff for the info. Last night I got SuperLooper going successfully and bound the Logidy UMI3's buttons to it. Tried the "wet" parameter for the exp pedal of the UMI3, it worked as well. The binding of the UMI3 was assisted with the Midi Patchbay auxiliary program as per the instructions on the SL main site.
Thanks again!