SL and M-audio Fasttrack Pro

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

tinawina

SL and M-audio Fasttrack Pro

Post by tinawina »

Hi there -

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and messing around with JACK, SooperLooper, Hydrogen, and the ZynADD SubFX sound synth. I can get all of that going ok. However, I would LOVE to get my guitar into the mix and haven't been able to do so yet. Been a few days!

JACK shows the M-Audio Fasttrack Pro (USB contraption) in the Connections window. Fasttrack Pro shows up under the ALSA tab under both the Readable Clients/Output Ports and Writeable Clients/Input Ports. No matter how I try to link the two up, I get no reading in SooperLooper when I strum the guitar. The Fasttrack Pro does light up indicating that it "hears" the guitar (green indicator light blinks as it should).

I'm sure I'm missing something small but I can't figure it out. Appreciate any ideas, insight, advice. And apologies if this is a really dumb question!

SL IS AWESOME! Thanks for any help!
jesse

Re: SL and M-audio Fasttrack Pro

Post by jesse »

In QJackCtl, just dragging from the 'system' item in the left column to the 'sooperlooper' item on the right column should make some connections and SL should see the input. Have you gotten any other app to hear the input from your FastTrack? I assume you started JACK with that device. Some screenshots of your qjackctl setup window and the connections window (with everything expanded) might help to troubleshoot.
jesse

Re: SL and M-audio Fasttrack Pro

Post by jesse »

I found this post recently on the linux audio mailing list, it might be relevant. Sounds like you need to start jack with hw1:1 to get inputs?
I use an M-Audio FastTrack Pro (USB soundcard) and it's nice - works
smoothly with jack - except that it has four audio outputs, presented
split into separate devices:

* Device hw1:0 has the first two outputs
* Device hw1:1 has the second two outputs and the two inputs

Jack will only connect to one of the two devices for output, so I
can't get four-channel output from my jack apps.

This thread <http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@l ... 23839.html>
suggests that using .asoundrc to aggregate the two devices into one
virtual device should work, but for me it simply doesn't, the virtual
device never shows up in qjackctl and even jackd from commandline
can't connect to it by name.