SETUP: SL w/ Jack, Reason, & MIDI Patchbay

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else

Moderator: jesse

Coop4Music

SETUP: SL w/ Jack, Reason, & MIDI Patchbay

Post by Coop4Music »

Ok so I was thinking that I would post the exact setup details of my SL configuration, so if anyone wanted to emulate it, they could just follow the step by step instructions. This is more or less the original setup Jesse had listed in the SL documentation, and it's by no means the best setup, but it does work very well, especially if you do not have a DAW or AU Lab. Bare with me here, because I'm not at my home computer.

For this setup, you must have Sooper Looper, MIDI Patchbay, Jack OS X, and an internal sound source, i'm using Reason 4.0. Links are at the bottom.

First, you have to start Audio Jack. Once it's engine is loaded, you'll want to hit the 'start' button before you load any other software.

Now, open up your sound souce/Reason. It should pop up in Jack's menu. Now do the same for SL. You should see both programs listed in Jack's routing window.

This is where it gets a bit funny.

Go into Reason, and under preferences, go to audio. Select Jack Router as your audio output device. Do the same for SL, and any other software you want to use in your session.

Now, you want to virtually (internally) route your programs as such: A--> B and then B--> C meaning...

Reason--> SL and SL--> Audio Interface (computer outs)

First, you click Reason in the left window of Jack (once, just highlight it), and then double click SL on the right. You have now made a connection from Reason to SL.

Second, highlight SL on the left, and double click the "main outs" on the right. These are the main outputs of your computer/audio interface/etc.

You now have your audio routed from Reason, into SL, and then into your outputs, in which case you should be able to see audio coming into SL in the input meters, and you should be able to hear the audio in your speakers.

Now for the MIDI Patchbay. I'm a bit fuzzy on this, considering i'm not in front of my computer, (i'll update later) but you should be able to select your midi device on the left of MIDI Patchbay, and then select SL as the recieving program of your MIDI data. Mine looks like this:

MPD32--> SooperLooper

Jack OS X: http://www.jackosx.com/
MIDI Patchbay: http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay

I'll update with some pictures when I get home, but for now, good luck, and feel free to ask questions!

C4M :ugeek: