What am I missing

Using SL inside Apple's Logic

Moderator: jesse

yhoyland

What am I missing

Post by yhoyland »

I just downloaded and installed SL, and at first glance it looks like the perfect thing for a live looping project I have going.

Although I have come across two really simple things that I can't figure out:

1) Is there no "reset" button? Clear all memory, cycle lengths etc?
2) When I hold undo it seems to clear the audio recorded, but not the cycle length. What if I need to start from scratch again?

Surely this function's here somewhere, but where?? And I'm hoping it's midi controllable?

Thanks in advance for your help and understanding.
jesse

Re: What am I missing

Post by jesse »

1) SL has mute, and pause, which both serve to stop any loop output, but still leaving you the option of restarting/retriggering it any way you want. If you want to start from scratch again, just hit Record! No need to go through the intermediate step of "reseting". If the end of loop memory is reached, the undo system will reclaim the earliest items automatically (in a circular fashion), so there's no real need for reset. This is an often asked question, I should probably just make a command that does it, just to stop people asking (pretty much the same as undo_all).

2) Yes, undo_all (a long press of undo) is pretty much as close to reset as you can get right now. See #1.

If these options still don't make sense (eg, you still see a need for reset), please let me know what the reasons are! I'm persuadable.
yhoyland

Post by yhoyland »

Okay, I get that, but it seems like the cycle length is still limited to the same length as the previous loop was?

And also it seems that when it plays back, say loop #1, after recording, the loop end is 1-2 seconds before I stopped recording. Could there be something wrong with my install?
jesse

Post by jesse »

That sounds strange. What are your settings (all the global ones on top, and the loop specific ones)? It sounds like you might be quantizing to something?
blustocking

Post by blustocking »

I am having the same issue - whenever I open SL (inside Live) the "mem" display in the counter window shows 47:55. When I record a loop the record button un-highlights after 48 seconds - but the loop doesn't automatically start playing unless I trigger it in some other way. Is this something to do with available space/memory on my system? I am running SL under Live 7 in Leopard, on a Macbook.
jesse

Post by jesse »

That "mem" display shows you how much loop time is allocated for the loop. This also includes space for the undo stack. You can't create a loop longer that. However, what you can easily do is create the loop instance with more time allocated. Just go to the session menu, add new custom loop and specify more total time. Generally you want at least twice as much time as the longest loop you think you'll make.

You can set the default loop memory in the preferences page, so that new (non-custom) loop adds will use that time.