Bar limit with use in Logic Pro?

Using SL inside Apple's Logic

Moderator: jesse

fredoviola

Bar limit with use in Logic Pro?

Post by fredoviola »

Hi there, folks

I'm a singer and do lots and lots of multilayered voicings in my music. For the last two years I have been using Delay Designer in Logic, which imposes quite a few number of limits - 4 bars, at nothing slower than 120bpms. A good friend recommended SooperLooper, and I've just downloaded it and got it looping. :)

My question is, can I assign a bar limit to the loop?

Here's how I'd like to work with it:
- I set up a channel which is armed with a mic in.
- I set up a number of sends, each going to another audio track.
- Each send track has an instance of the looper plugin.
- As I sing, I'll just turn up the send when I want something to loop. And I have assigned a separate midi control to mute said send(Looper)track. I've also set a midi control to reset the looper plugin, but I haven't discovered what that control is yet in SooperLooper.

So, my ideal would be to be able to set up a number of instances of SooperLooper with different bar structures, all synced to the Logic bpm. I might have one that's 16 bars. One that's 8. One that's 4. One that's 2. I'll then send sound as I sing and build something awesome! :)

Is it possible??
jesse

Re: Bar limit with use in Logic Pro?

Post by jesse »

There is no easy way to automatically set up loops with fixed durations ahead of time, you pretty much have to set that up in real-time. For instance, you can load up a single SL plugin instance, and create 4 loops inside it (Session Menu->Add Mono Loop). Then set the sync to Jack/Host, and then set 8th/cycle to 16 (which means 2 bars per cycle (in 4/4)), and set quantize to 'cycle'. Then on every loop, turn on the 'sync' option.

What all that means, is that when you go to record loops in each one of those it will quantize their lengths to the nearest 2 bars (you can reduce 8ths/cycle to get more fine control), so you can easily set them up live by starting with a Record, playing (or just letting it record silence) for X bars, then hit Record again to finish (hit it a bit early, it will automatically wait until the 2 bar boundary to finish). Then do the same for the other loops letting it record for as long as you want them. Then when you have those set up, you can go into overdub and leave it there, if you are going to use the send levels to control when you put audio into the loops. Set the feedback parameter down appropriately to get things out of the loop if you desire.

Hope that helps.
fredoviola

Re: Bar limit with use in Logic Pro?

Post by fredoviola »

it does help. Thanks a lot. It's a wonderful program/plugin and obviously presents a lot of possibilities. I'm going to dig in now. :)